Saturday, January 26, 2013

Snow coincidence


All images on this site remain property of me (Rachel J Fenton ©2013) unless copyright stated otherwise. Please contact if you would like to share images from this blog. Thank you!


Though I've written lots on how I write, I've never written a blog post about "How To" write. I'll tell you why. Because other people have written them already. Hey, I'm all for making efficient use of my time. The reason I'm posting this is because I just finished the first draft of the novel I've been working on since August. (I actually wrote the first chapter back in July, from a plan I've been working on and mulling over since 2007, when I first arrived in New Zealand - hint there, folks). Wellsy, one way I've been spending the snatches of time I've had away from writing has been to read other novellists' posts/advice on the whole process.

One blog I'd highly recommend to anyone contemplating the novel journey is Tom Vowler's. His debut, What Lies Within, has just been published (my copy's ordered) which proves he knows what he's talking about.

I was struck by the similarities between Tom's analogy and the very impressively illustrated one in the most recent blog post of another talented writer, Dan Purdue.

And the whole sculpture analogy brings me back around to how I write, because bookending the writing of my first ever novel - now safely stored out of society's way, no fear - I studied to become an artist then a designer. During this time, as well as painting, I made sculpture and pots (like Grayson Perry). Here's one of mine. Coincidentally, it's inspired by a landscape under snow.

Which - I like tying up plot threads - brings me to my final where to go for "How To" for this post: Catherine McNamara's got some excellent advice on both novel and short story writing, and as she quotes in her most recent post "coincidences happen when you are on the right path". Here's hoping.

8 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

Look forward to reading it some time!
x

Rachel Fenton said...

You don't even know what it's about! x

Lori said...

I like your ceramic! Very creative. I'm going to read those posts you mention because I do need some inspiration today.

Rachel Fenton said...

Hee, thanks! Some good advice in the blogs, Lori. Hope you find them useful.

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Thanks for the mention but I still feel I'm on the long and lonely path of learning. I'll be over to read Tom's words and looking forward to reading the novel. Ah ceramics! So jealous. My secret lusty wish. Maybe if I began to learn I might buy less? I really love your piece xxcat

@parridhlantern said...

Best of luck with the Novel

Rachel Fenton said...

Cat, I think an awareness that there's much to learn is a good sign. And being open to new ideas and advice. As for the cera,mics, I still harbour a retirement dream of having a kiln.

Rachel Fenton said...

Thanks, Gary. I'm doing a read through/2nd draft currently and it's going well. Only three minor continuity gaffes so afar and these have been rectified. I'm aiming to have a second draft complete by the end of Feb. Big fan of self-imposed deadlines!